Under the current ASC 842 lease accounting rules, rent concessions and other lease modifications could trigger the remeasurement of right of use assets and lease liabilities for each lease affected. If you report under the international standard IFRS 16, help is potentially on the way that could ease this burden. In the U.S., FASB has already proposed the delay of ASC 842 adoption for private and not for profit entities; U.S. public companies should be on the lookout for potential remeasurement relief for COVID-19 related lease modifications. See this article in the Wall Street Journal for more commentary on this topic.
IASB Proposes Coronavirus Relief on How Companies Account for Their Rent Concessions
Contact Scribcor Global
We’re always happy to talk lease administration. If you’d like more information about our services, or have a question, or just need some helpful advice on how to get started, just send us a note and we’ll get right back to you. There’s never any pressure or obligation and your contact information is kept confidential.
- 5 Things to Know. Right. Now. About ASC 842 / IFRS 16 / GASB 87 Adoption
- Year End Lease Administration in a 2020 World
- Retail Tenants and Landlords Evaluate Potential New Rent Arrangements due to COVID-19’s Impact on Sales
- IASB Proposes Coronavirus Relief on How Companies Account for Their Rent Concessions
- Preparing for Potential Disruption – Three Concerns